Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee
As required by California Education Code Section 15278-15282, the governing board of the community college shall establish and appoint members
to an independent citizens' oversight committee, pursuant to section 15282. The purpose
of the citizen's oversight committee shall be to inform the public concerning the
expenditure of bond revenues. All citizens' oversight committee meetings are open
to the public.
A strong effort has been made to ensure that the membership of the Citizens' Oversight
Committee reflects the diversity of the communities and the region served by the District.
Oral Communications to the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee
- It is the obligation of the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee to provide an adequate
forum within which the views of the public pertaining to any item of the business
of the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee can be expressed and heard.
- Persons wishing to speak on an item appearing on the agenda may speak regarding their
issues during the “Comments from the Public” section of the agenda or when the Citizens’
Bond Oversight Committee is considering the item (Education Code 72121.5). Prior to
being recognized by the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee, a speaker must complete
a request to speak form.
- Persons wishing to speak on items that are not on the agenda may also speak on such
issues during the “Comments from the Public” section of the agenda. The Committee,
however, does not obligate itself to act upon any request or proposal presented at
the time of the hearing of citizens and petitions except, if appropriate, for the
item to be added to the agenda of a future meeting.
- In the event that the Committee must schedule a Zoom meeting, or otherwise meet virtually,
the Committee shall follow the law regarding public comment in place at the time.
To facilitate the orderly conduct of public meetings and to expedite conducting the
necessary business, the following shall govern public speaker presentations at Citizens’
Bond Oversight Committee meetings:
- A person wishing to speak to the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee must fill out
a request that will be provided by the Committee using the "Request to Address the
Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee Form." This form is available online, and will
also be available at each meeting of the Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee.
- A member of the audience may speak only with the recognition of the Chair of the Committee.
- Three minutes shall be allotted per speaker, with 20 minutes maximum time allotment
for any one subject. At the discretion of the Chair of the Committee, time may be
- While the Committee respects the rights of the public to address the committee, and
encourages public paarticipataion in its meetings, profanity, obscenity, and abusive
or defamatory language can constitute cause for the Chair of the Committee to terminate
discussion before the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee. In the event of serious,
willful or persistent disruption, the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee may order
the meeting room cleared. (Govt. Code 54957.9) Only matters appearing on the agenda
may be considered in such a session. Representatives of the press or the news media,
except those participating in the disturbance, shall be allowed to attend any session
held ursuent to this section.